Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Me and Brad Pitt

Everyone wants me for my body. Today, Wednesday, March 3, was a big day. It started by trying to come out of a deep sleep. Tracey woke up early as usual and was ready to go to the hospital to get my blood work. She told me I needed to get up because there was no need of her going to the hospital without my body from which to draw blood. So I woke up and took my body to the lab. Back when I was in the hospital, the night nurse came in one time and asked me where I would like my shot tonight. I told her I had had enough shots in my arm and that tonight I would like this one in her arm. She indicated that was not going to happen. She just wanted me for my body. They don't seem to care whether I am there or not. They just care that my body is there. Through all of this it seems they want to poke my body, put a tube in or out of my body, staple or unstable my body, draw something from or put something into my body, etc. I want to take my shirt off, flex my non-muscles and pose for a poster to be hung at the Poster Store next to Brad Pitt's poster. Tracey thinks no one will go into the store.
While getting my blood drawn, I was once again reminded of my blessing. I told the phlebotomist my story. She asked me about the age of Jeremy Rose, my donor. He was thiry-four. She had a cousin, age thrity-four as well, who recently passed away. In fact, her cousin passed away from a liver disease (hepatist B contracted while in the Philipines when he was 19). At Christmastime, he was fine. Suddenly his liver started to fail. Over three weeks his kidneys failed, then his lungs and finally his heart. Towards the end, he quickly moved to the top of the transplant list. However, the timing of his poor health and the timing of an available liver did not match. Although I know I can't go there, it is difficult for me not to ask, "Why me and not others". I think of the Rose family every day. That moment brought a "Rose Family" thought. "Thank you for your kindness to me and to my family."
We then had our clinic appointment at 1:00. Always a few surprises and more news on progress. I knelt down, put my hands to my chin, and begged for my driving privleges to be restored. No go. They stood firm at six weeks from my last surgery - March 24, 2010 :(. We have found that Tracey and I have a different opinion. I think I am an excellent driver from the passenger seat. All I need to do is give voice commands. Tracey on the other hand, well....
The foot-under-the-chair doctor then removed the staples from my incision. I told him the only time I take pain medication any more is when I know I am going to see him. Everyone at the clinic grabbed that comment and ran with it. My only mistake, I should have waited until after he removed my staples to open my mouth. One more step to saying I made it through is having the staples gone.
Surprise Number 1 - my white blood cell count is down and I have had no temperatures and my liver numbers look great and it is ok to send delayed blood test results. They said I could go to Idaho. Wow. We need to do blood draws on Friday and will probably go home on Sunday.
Surprise Number 2 - the doctor talked at length about my need to be careful, especially during cold and flu season. He is more concerned than I want to be concerned but I had better listen. We need to ask for no visitors. Tracey has to change her clothes when she gets home from work. There will be no attending church for two months, doctors orders. Church is the worst place for contracting something, especially during this season. While sick, people go to church when they won't go other places. No basketball games, no large crowds, no crowded movies, etc. Right after transplant they suppress my immune system the most to prevent rejection. Then over a three to six month period, they tapper off the medications and closely monitor liver functions for rejection. The bottom line is that this is the time when I am most susceptible to contracting something. As my body adjusts and as they lower the anti-rejection medications, I will gradually become less susceptible. Thank you all for your understanding.
We ended the day eating Chinese food. The fortune cookie said, "Health and happiness are headed your way". A liver transplant is an amazing thing. I feel better than I have felt in two years or more. My family tells me my personality has even changed. I feel so blessed. My prayers are prayers of thanks.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are getting to come home! Our neighbor had a liver transplant about 7-8 years ago and his doc STILL warns him to be careful about flu season and going out into public too much! He also has had some changes since the transplant....one of which is that he is ALWAYS cold! I think he would take cold any day just to have his life! Congrats again on the good bill of health and coming home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited you get to come home! Can't wait to see you this weekend, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you get to go home. It's been fun having you guys down here, but I'm glad you're well enough to go home. I'd have to agree with Mom, no Brad Pitt type store posters. You may be able to pass as a world map though. Love you!

    ReplyDelete