Thursday, April 1, 2010

Girls, Clinic, and Mike

Dr. Sussman


Dr. Box

I was talking to a lady that works next to our office. She commented on how good I looked, especially my color. I thanked her. Then I said if she were to see me with my shirt off, she might not comment on how good I looked. She said, "Don't do that. I would pass out!" Whoa. I have only been on the news two times (see the KSL News story on an earlier posting). I know that girls fainted when they saw Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson. Some faint when they see Tom Cruise or George Clooney. But ME? Did I choose the wrong profession? I have never had a girl faint because of me, not even my wife when I first asked her out.

I had a clinic visit again. I continue to get great reports. They have moved my clinic visits to once a month instead of every other week. One of the hepatologists, Dr. Sussman (who is from South Africa), told me that seeing patients like me makes his life worthwhile. I reassured him that his life is definetly worthwhile and thanked him for all he has done for me. In fact, all of our lives are worthwhile. I appreciate that fact more now than ever.

I also have to thank Dr. Box. He has been my hepatologist since the mid-90's. He is not only a great doctor but also a great individual. We have had many talks about life. We have laughed together and we have shed tears of gratitude together. About seven years ago (I am not certain on the number), Dr. Box required a liver transplant. Although I wouldn't wish that on anyone, he has complete compassion and empathy for his patients. At clinic this time we talked about the reward of his work. Most physicians can make people feel better but very little medicine actually gives new life. He indicated that besides ob/gyn, his is one of the practices that can actually give new life. He is rewarded by that. I am rewarded by that. I have been given new life and I want to tell everyone.

I didn't talk to the surgeon on this visit but I asked that a complaint be passed along. What medical school did he go to anyway? If a surgeon goes around giving tummy tucks, don't you think he should learn to put the tuck in the right place? My tuck is right across the middle of my abdomen and is parallel to my bottom ribs, making it look like the roof of a house. Plus, my ab looks like it has six belly buttons (from tubes that went in and out). My kids wonder how I managed birth with six umbilical cords. I would really like to post a picture of my abs but Tracey thinks it would make more girls faint.

Mike is still living but things don't look promising. They use a MELD score to determine who is the sickest and therefore who receives the next available organ. A normal person has a MELD score of 6. Most move to the top of the list with a MELD score of 25-30. Because of the generosity of the Rose family, I was transplanted with a MELD score of 12 (an overwhelming fact). A gentleman in the waiting area had a MELD score of 33 (he didn't look good - bad color and skinny). He thought he would be close to the top of the list. Mike's MELD score is over 50. He had to resolve some issues with his insurance company over the last two weeks and now the doctors think he is too sick to recover from a transplant. They don't feel he can be stabalized enough for surgery and recovery. Becasue of the shortage of organs, they came up with a system that the next organ goes to the sickest person. The irony is that the sickest people have the hardest time recovering from the surgery. I have known and watched the process for many years now. To be honest, I was not looking forward to getting that sick. I hope you can understand my gratitude for the Rose family and for them saving me from that senario. Plus, that is the reason for my rapid recovery and my great reports at clinic. How could I be so blessed? I am overcome. Every day is a day of thanksgiving.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rob you've got cheeks!! You look so good. Thanks for the reports, we love to keep up on your progress. Happy Easter. We love you guys. Orrin & Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. just think of your belly as a piece of art work! You do look great! what an incredible journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happen to like the belly look, it shows everything that you have overcome and helps remind us of the miracles we have recieved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I have just stumbled upon your blog and enjoyed reading your blog posts very much. I am looking for new posts to get more precious info. Big thanks for the useful info. Dr Kodali

    ReplyDelete