Saturday, March 20, 2010

Giving and Receiving











So many have given to me. When I first came out of surgery, I was completely dependent on others. I was in ICU and the ICU nurse and family members had to do everything for me. I couldn't even lift my arm without help. In fact, I had tubes to help maintain my breathing. Over the last six weeks, my goal has been to return to self-reliance. Many have assisted. Front and center in my quest always has been and, I know more than ever, always will be Tracey. My children, both those that grew up in our home and those that grew up in other homes (some people call them in-laws), have stepped forward to give as I strive to return to self-reliance. Others include parents, brothers, sisters, neighbors, and friends. And, of course, the Rose family has given me an extended life. I thank them every day.
I am still dependent in some ways. For example, I cannot drive and I cannot lift anything over five pounds. Almost every day my parents cover the morning, Chad covers the afternoon, and Tyce and Keaton cover the evening and the weekend. My parents pick me up in the morning and go for a walk with me as I increase my stamina. I enjoy our visits. My son Chad takes me to the office where he is also working this semester. I know he truly cares. Tyce drives me around in the evening and on the weekend. Keaton and Tyce, our two at home, are getting used to me saying, "Can you move this, or lift that, or do this, or carry that?" They are awesome. We have all missed each other and it is great to be together again. You can all rest assured that Tyce and Keaton are taking care of their dad. I thank them for their kindness and goodness to me. I am thankful they are still at home and I am thankful they came to our family. They brighten my days.
I have learned a lot about giving and receiving. I think we are all more comfortable giving than receiving. When we were considering live donor I really struggled with having somebody go through such a major surgery to save my life. Initially, I refused to do it. The idea was first introduced to us when we took a family trip to Madison, Wisconsin, partly to check out their transplant center (we were referred by a friend who received a transplant there). Tracey really liked the idea of a live donor and was sure that she should be the donor. I was not so sure. What would our family do with both parents down? What if things didn't go as planned? How could I put the person whom I loved the most through something like that? One night before she left the hospital I told her I was not afraid to die. She then looked at me and said (in a way I have seen many times), "I am not afraid to die either but I am afraid to live for 30 years by myself". Then she left. That was a long night. Was I being selfish for not considering a live donor? Could I give more to Tracey by allowing her to be the donor? They were all difficult questions. Not long after, I ran across the following quote:
"When people receive help, they should accept it with gratitude and humility, thanking the Lord for His goodness and the goodness of others. People who receive assistance should use it to release themselves from the bondage and limitations of their need, becoming more self-reliant and more able to give to others.
Providing in the Lord’s way humbles the giver, exalts the receiver, and sanctifies both. Both become more able to give as Christ gives."
I have been taught not only about the importance of giving but also about the importance of receiving. I know the Lord will sanctify all who have given. I hope to receive appropriately.

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts. They always make me want to be a better person! I am glad you have such a good family to take care of you. I still, years later, love those 2 little (okay....they use to be little) boys of yours too. How fun to have Chad at the office! I am glad to hear on update on how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...Just wanted you to know you have been in my thoughts and prayers! You have always been dear to me and I look back on our high school years with a smile on my face and a laugh or two! So happy you are doing so well and getting stronger every day! You have a sweet wife and it looks like a wonderful family! Take care and don't over do! Love ya...

    ReplyDelete