Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Chad and Ryan Arnold Story


Ryan Arnold Family


Before my liver transplant, we pursued the option of a live donor. Obviously, we wanted to use a transplant center with the best of reputations and with plenty of experience. After a lot of research, we settled on the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver.
My wife insisted on being the donor. She underwent an extensive evaluation and we were sure she would be the donor. The phone call came from Denver. Because of the anatomy of her liver, they would not take the risk. Tracey was devastated. She was convinced that live donor was our best option. For three days, she sobbed uncontrollably. Later my son was evaluated, then my brother, then my brother-in-law and finally my brother Ryan. All had failed the evaluation for various reasons. Ryan called us from California telling us he had been denied. That was Jan. 8, just two weeks before the miracle.
In August after my transplant, my brother Ryan called and asked if I had heard the story about Chad and Ryan Arnold. I had not. He sent me to the following links. We couldn't believe how close we had come to going through with the live donor option. Although there have been hundreds of successful live donors, we thanked the Lord and the Rose family. They spared us from finding out what our fate might have been.
Chad and Ryan Arnold's story hit very close to home for us. When you go through the live donor option, they do a very thorough job of explaining the risks. The mental, emotional, and physical preparation is such that you feel as if you had actually been through the transplant. We actually had a date set once with my brother Mike and "just one last test" failed to meet the qualifications. I was always less than supportive of family members being live donors. I did not think it was right that anyone should suffer physical pain because of my poor health. But, family members insisted. My worst fear was that I would live and that they would not.
My brother Ryan and Chad' brother Ryan are about the same age, both have three children, and they look like each other. Experience brings compassion and empathy. Although I cannot completely know how the Arnold's feel, I can begin to understand. There are a lot of emotions involved. I have used over and over again Chad's quotes, "God writes the story" and "We still serve a good God". It is in God's hands and we do the best we know how. We are required to move forward.
Chad and Ryan Arnold's stroy emphasizes the need to raise the awareness of organ donation. Live donor surgeries would not be required if everyone who could donate would donate. I am committed to raising awareness whenever and however I can.

http://www.kdvr.com/kdvr-liver-transplant-death-txt,0,7224071.story
http://www.kdvr.com/kdvr-live-donor-risks-txt,0,39057.story
http://www.kdvr.com/kdvr-liver-death-changes-txt,0,7689633.story

No comments:

Post a Comment