Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Independence Day

I had a clinic appointment today at the transplant unit. Things went very well. My liver is functioning beautifully and the infection seems to have been beaten. We are ending the 7 days of 24 hour drip antibiotics today. They also pulled the drain from my guts (which feels like they are sucking your guts out with a straw). All of this makes for a totally awesome day. It may not mean much to you but this is the end of the tubes hanging out of my body. I came out of the transplant with tubes everywhere, including the one Exxon Mobil drilled down the side of my neck while they were looking for oil. In fact, this is the first time in two and a half years that I have no tubes. Tomorrow morning will be my first shower in two and half years without saran wrap and tape. It may seem like a simple thing but that is huge to me. I am going to get in the shower, shower, and then get out of the shower. I am a new man.
While at my appointment, the doctor was pulling the drain from my abdomen. Like I said, it really doesn't feel that great. I vocalized my pain. While letting out all these noises, I reared back on my chair because of the pain. The doctor had pulled the drain and it was dangling in the air and getting this gross looking stuff all over my pants and shoes (it totally missed the paper towels he had sat down). Why he didn't take it to the garbage can I don't know. Then the doctor starts yelling somthing at me. I think, "I don't remember the doctor yelling as being part of the pulling drains process." This is one compassionate doctor. Just then Tracey walks in from parking the car. She sees her husband groaning in pain and the doctor doing this funky dance and yelling at me. Finally my pain subsided and come to find out, my chair had come down on the doctor's foot. He couldn't get it out. We all laughed so hard we cried.
Tonight we went to dinner to celebrate Independence Day and to thank Nurse Hatchet for all she has done. She leaves for Ohio tomorrow after being here for over a month. From our family to Wayne and Lynn - we will always remember your being there in our time of need. I think the more difficult role is the role of the spouse. Lynn's emotional, physical, and spiritual support to Tracey through all of this has been exactly the comfort Tracey has needed.
Other news from today's appointment. If everything goes well, staples come out next week. No committment from doctors on when I can return to Idaho. I get blood tests on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The blood test results are available same day if taken in Utah. Doctors can adjust medications accordingly. When in Idaho, blood tests must be sent away and can take two to three days for results. Blood numbers must settle into a pattern the doctors are comfortable with. The recent change in the antibiotics, etc. are still affecting the numbers.
Enjoy your shower today!

6 comments:

  1. Dad! CONGRATULATIONS! As one who saw you prep for a shower many times: I am SO happy for you! You deserve to have a "normal" shower with no tubes! Enjoy it! I love you SO much!
    p.s. to me, you will always be iron man, even without the circle on your stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah to be getting rid of the IRON MAN! We know you are still as tough, but no drain in the chest will be awesome! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole thing is way too crazy!! I am glad you are slowly getting back to normal! And.....I think it is funny that your chair came down on the docs foot. He hurt you....it is okay - in my opinion -...to hurt him back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob: Sounds like a great day. I'm in Boston today and considering the weather, you may make it back to Rexburg before I do. Congrats on the shower.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey is going to be sad you don't have a tube any more, but I'll help her get over it. She may still wear duct tape from time to time though. Luke and I have been laughing all day about your doctor story. Thanks for the comic relief. Will you thank Lynn for us as well? I'm sure she'll never know fully how comforting it has been to have her here. Enjoy your showers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see that sense of humor! At least I am guessing that was humor! You look good in the pictures my fried! The Lord continue to bless you and Tracey! We love you both! Bob and Janene Marcum

    ReplyDelete